Friday, August 10, 2007

Hot air balloons



Well, the term hot air balloons is full of redundancy when it is summer in Louisiana. However, they are beautiful to watch especially early in the morning as they come over the horizon. It is such an art (ok, maybe a science) to figure out where to lift off and then what altitude is best to make it over the target for the drop.
This morning there were several over the drop area at the same time which is always exciting.
They would come in from the NW and would be hidden by trees when they were flying low and then suddenly just pop into sight.
The colors and designs made them look like Easter eggs just sailing along in the morning sky. I think I like the morning contest better than the ascension in the late afternoon or even the "glow" which is held at night. Fewer people and therefore quieter and you can really concentrate on the balloons.
I decided not to go to the glow tonight as it's just too hot!!! I did watch the ascension. Finally got a bright idea and took a chair outside and also brought out a floor fan which I plugged in and turned on high. Not only kept me cool: it also kept the mosquitoes away. I think I will use the same system for the fireworks tonight. Boy, are the dogs going to love the fireworks! Definitely the comfort and security of their crates for them.

No comments: