Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Balloons and friends



Sunday was the last day of the balloon festival. Unbelievably hot--as is the usual right now...record breaking heat. I mean there are some records you don't care if they are ever broken, but our weather is doing it now--consistently!!!
Lois came over to watch the balloons and we put the chairs in the shade on the sidewalk in front of the house. (Balloon watching has become a fun, family tradition for us.)
The balloons came right over the house as they were landing and one even landed on my street. I called to one balloonist as he was going over and said he was welcome to set down as we had plenty of room. He thanked me but said he was headed for the next street over. He asked if I was enjoying the balloons and I responded that I always did. I asked if he had had a good weekend and he replied that he had. An altogether very pleasant exchange. I love little bright spots in the day like that.
Friends are truly a blessing!!! I don't know how people function without them. They go above and beyond the ordinary. I wouldn't have made it the past 5 weeks without JJ, Lois, and friends. They have carted me around, gone grocery shopping for me, taken me grocery shopping, brought food, called to check on me and offered help in many forms, and sent cards. The latest gift was Martha coming over to bathe Conner and Allie. Can you believe that? I have been humbled by the many kindnesses I have received. I am truly blessed to be surrounded by such caring people.
Not only do my blessings offer to help, and do it repeatedly, they follow up with action. It reminds me once again that is what we are supposed to be doing in this life. Looking out for others. It's why I love them. They "get it". AND, they all bring great joy and laughter to my life even when I am able to safely drive myself around.
Ok, now I am off to plant myself in front of a fan and think very grateful thoughts about the people who invented electricity, fans, and central air conditioning....and of course, sweettea. (Which as any true southerner knows, is one word!) and no, contrary to what some in other parts of the USA believe, it is NOT the same when you just add sugar to cold unsweetened tea. not the same animal at all, at all!

No comments: