Saturday, March 27, 2010

No sock loom for me

Well, I finally tried to use the 64 peg sock loom that I bought last year (or year before). I had the Sock Looming Book, correct yarn, and the lovely loom. Folks, it's just not going to happen. It was very slow and frustrating. Although I can easily remember k2,p2 with circular needles, for some reason, if the phone rang or I got distracted, I just couldn't find out which stitch was next without going back and counting from the beginning. Talk about making haste slowly!

So, I ripped it out in the best froggy manner possible and I will sell the loom and the book as a set. I love the patterns in the book and the loom is beautifully made but it's just not for me.

Since the size 1 and 0 Addis hurt my hands, and the knitting loom didn't work out, I now have the perfect excuse to order some Harmony circular needles from Knit Picks. You saw that coming didn't you? Even if they don't work out, they are gorgeous to look at and I'll just put them somewhere highly visible.

I do use the plastic round looms with bigger yarn and will continue to make hats with them as it is a very quick process. I made some several years ago and it's a good way to keep knittting if holding the reins is causing some soreness the day after driving.

On a side note, I learned to use the whip (relax, you barely touch it to the horse's rear) to put Molly into a faster trot. This week I'll get to drive Charlie. He's bigger than Molly and with him I have to learn how to make him keep his head up and in the correct position. Oh, yeah, and not fall off that tiny little bench. Very important part of the whole process.

1 comment:

Ewespecial said...

okay, I worried when you bought out the whip--thought you were going to 'whip' us into shape!
you'll love the harmony needles--I just don't like the fact that sometimes they come unscrewed while you are working--so beware!