Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hotter Than...

When it gets to be in the 90s without a lot of relief in sight, I find it is a great excuse to hibernate and knit. Hmm, yes I know, I rarely need an excuse to hibernate and knit but if I say that it's because of the heat, it sounds better. Maybe.

The day started off with taking the dogs to the veterinarian. Allie had managed to get something in her eye over the weekend and scratched it a bit. Fortunately I was able to get them there before it became roasty toasty outside.


I am "making yarn" for a shawl for a friend. She wanted something in red which of course is adding to the sense of warmth even with the a/c cranked on "just above really, really cold." Actually, after looking at my electric bill last year, I am using my 2 floor fans more this summer.

The yarns are a lot more red and less "pink" than this picture shows.

Yarn for red shawl

Now onto the knitting. I have about 5 or 6 red yarns that I am using for this shawl and will add more as I go along.  The CO will be about 140 sts and I'm using size 13 circular needles so once I actually start knitting, it should go rather quickly.

When I talk about "making yarn" I mean that I am cutting various yarns into 12-14" pieces and then just knotting them together with an overhand knot as I did for the blue shawl.

3 comments:

Leah said...

I can't believe you are making another one! and boy has it been hot!

Ewespecial said...

Hot weather! Hot Red/Pink yarn!
What a great shawl this yarn will make. I like the idea of combining yarns to make a yarn.
You're hot and I had to use my little heater in the basement yesterday-temp was 58! I know...don't rub it in!

nck said...

I know, I can't believe it either. However, when someone says they would really love to have a crazy shawl like the blue one, it only makes sense to encourage them to wear unconventional stuff as well. :)