Monday, May 3, 2010

Busting the Stash

Well, I am working on a project that is really going to bust the stash. I am knitting a blue / turquoise shawl out of anything cotton, ribbon, acrylic, or unknown fiber which meets the criteria of being in that color range. I cast on what seems like 18 zillion stitches as I am knitting the length. The needle size is 10 circulars and the Addis are working beautifully as the various fibers slide nicely along the shaft. This is important when some of the fibers you are using tend to cling together.

This shawl is going to be heavier that I had anticipated but I also think it is going to be a very fun thing to wear. ... in cooler weather.

Preparation for this shawl has involved gathering the yarns together (I've been back to the stash several times) and then cutting them into 12-14 inch strips. Some of the yarns, such as the ribbons, stand alone but other are put in groups of 2 or 3 . They are tied together using an overhand knot (yea for the days as a Cub Scout leader) and this is done without any order so no pattern of yarn use is established. That has been necessary as I am sure I am going to run out of a couple of the yarns before I'm finished. I have actually held back some of a couple of the yarns so I can reintroduce them later in the shawl.

I am probably half way done and am already to move on to another project. Yes, it has once again become apparent that I am a process person. I have figured out how to do this shawl and am looking for the next thing. I'll finish this one because there are several different stages to it and because I am sure I will enjoy the finished project but mentally, I think I have moved to something else.

1 comment:

Ewespecial said...

This is a great stash buster idea! Gathering would be the hard part--seeing all that fiber would only turn my mind to ALL the projects that could be done....anxious to see the photos.