Saturday, October 10, 2009

The sock begins


Turkish cast on
Originally uploaded by january spin
Ok, I am actually starting a sock. I spent yesterday looking at various cast on methods. I watched a video on the Magic Cast On and looked at pictures in Wendy's Johnson's book "Socks From the Toe Up".

No one was available to sit next to me and walk me through the process yesterday so I quit trying that method and settled on the Turkish Cast on. For me this one was very easy to do and I didn't experience near the frustration I was having with the Magic Cast On. I don't know about you, but when I want to start a project, I want to start it NOW.

I am a hands on type of learner so watching something or hearing directions just doesn't do the job. I need to get my hands involved in the process and this cast on worked for me on this day. Tomorrow, who knows. I'll certainly go back and try the Magic Cast On at a later date but for now, I am knitting a sock!!!!!!

Note to self: I should have tried this years, and years ago before glasses were necessary. Knitting with size one needles is going to cause me to squint which means more wrinkles, of which I have plenty. Oh, how we suffer for our art.

I am using Silky Sock Watermelon Wanda from The Great Adirondack Yarn Company, Inc. which is 70% superwash wool, 20% silk and 10% nylon so hopefully it will wear well.

4 comments:

Ewespecial said...

hip hip hooray! you've begun a sock. Can you finish?

nck said...

Hey, one step at a time! I am already thinking about starting a 2nd sock with different yarn / needles to give my hands a rest from these small needles.

Ewespecial said...

Thinkin' is good!

naiadkitty said...

That's a lovely yarn! I'm sure the socks will be great!