Friday, August 28, 2009

Electronic Overload

Ok, I've already talked about Jack (my GPS) and the lovely Dell laptop J gave me. Well now I have another toy. I finally succumbed to temptation and got an iPhone this week. Friends with iPhones become enablers rather quickly. Addicts like to get other addicts hooked and this time it really worked well.

So this week I have been down loading apps (applications for you non-techi types) for the iPhone. Oh, my word. there are simply way too many toys out there for this phone. No, it's not a phone it's a social organizer, time stealer, substitute brain, secretary, mother, nutritionist, lifestyle advisor, entertainer, and a thousand other things. Most of which I probably don't need but now have and because I have it, I'll join the ranks of the addicted.

One of the applications gives information on fast food restaurants and the calories and fat in their menu. Well, rats! I love sweettea (yes, it is only one word) and I made the mistake of looking up McDonald's large sweettea. Do you think I will ever be able to enjoy another one now that I know it has over 50 carbs? Ignorance is indeed bliss! So, my answer to that is to simply not look up any more of the things I like. Where oh where is that ostrich when you need him? He certainly doesn't have an iPhone.

I also joined Facebook. That has been a good and bad thing. The good, actually great, part is that I was able to locate a former roommate and her husband. I mentioned this in an earlier post but it is worth celebrating again.

The bad thing about FB is that it also sucks up great amounts of time while you read what everyone you ever had contact with is doing in their life. Do we really need that much information? Do we want that much information out there about ourselves? Probably not. Then there are the games - Mafia Wars, Farm Town, etc. No, I haven't participated in those yet and hopefully won't and I am gong to block the posts about them so the temptation is less. I mean, have you seen my house lately? The clutter is beginning to win.

Speaking of clutter, the spinners are coming over tomorrow and I need to make room for them . That's a priority but I think I'll slip off to lunch at McAlister's Deli so I can use their WiFi and update my iPhone with a couple more apps. I can also enjoy their wonderful sweettea . Fortunately they are not listed on the fast food app so I remain blissfully ignorant of the carbs in their tea. and you thought I wouldn't find a way around the electronic information highway. Yea for the byways!!!

1 comment:

leah said...

So looking forward to tomorrow!