Thursday, February 10, 2011

Who is manufacturing the yarn?

Surely I couldn't have bought all this yarn? Some secret elf has been at work stuffing it into boxes and closets and tote bags while I slept. I just found 6  boxes of handspun cotton. SIX boxes!!! What was I thinking? Not only do I buy yarn but I also make it.

Ok, here it is in writing---I'm not buying one bit of yarn until I have made a huge dent in "the stash".

Let's face it--getting on tv because you hoard yarn is really, really going to look bad. People always ask me what I do with my handspun and I laugh and reply that I put it in baskets and admire it. Well, apparently that's exactly what I do with it. I am a process person--no apologies, that's what I am. I enjoy the doing. The product just isn't that important, or at least it's not my focus. The craft world is divided into process and product people. The product people are those that finish things. They have a goal and follow through on it. They buy yarn with a purpose in mind. They know what they want and they work until they achieve the end result that they want, or as close to it as possible.

Those of us that are process people tend to have a LOT of unfinished projects around. Once we figure out how to do something, we are usually ready to move on to something else--hence the unfinished projects. We buy yarn because we love the feel of it, or the look of it. It may remain in the stash for years unused but still appreciated. We can sit at our spinning wheels and produce boxes of handspun yarn without any plans whatsoever for it's use. We are happy in our endeavors. Every once in a while we will run into a product person. Show and tell time is where they excel. We look at what they have done and secretly resolve to do something about finishing a project so we will have something for show and tell also. We are also a bit delusional in this regard. Now every so often, we do finish something, much to our surprise and the surprise of our fiber friends. (Nonfiber people are never, ever allowed to see our stash. They would never recover from the shock of the volume.) Finishing something is always celebrated and we resolve to do more of that in the future but , well, the best laid plans and all that.

1 comment:

Ewespecial said...

Hi! My name is Cheryl and I'm a process person....
can we have a 12 step program for that?

love your post--helps me with my obsession too!