Thursday, July 8, 2010

Faith and Patriotism

I started the morning by going to the Smokey Mountain Center for the Performing Arts (ok, long name but a beautiful building.). Dr. Dennis Swanberg was going to conduct chapel and since I had sometimes watched Swan's Place on tv, I knew it would be a fun experience. He was a Baptist minister for 20 years and then left to become a minister of encouragement. He has made it a point to bring his message to troops overseas as well as people all over this country. He is very funny and his message is indeed one of encouragement. The hour and a half passed quickly and it was a great way to start the day.

After this I grabbed a really good turkey pastrami at the Motor City Diner and then walked down a couple of blocks to the square where a Tea Party was being held. Contrary to what is often reported on the national news, there were no lunatics, fanatics, or dangerous looking people. What I saw were small town American people from all over the area who were alarmed by the direction their country was headed. That they loved their country was evident. Patriotic songs were sung and speakers said their piece. Nothing way out of line, just a general concern and lots of smiles for those driving by.  I do confess that I shopped during the speeches and listened to the music.

There was one sign  which I absolutely loved and wished I could have gotten a picture of it. The sign said "Next time read the bill before you vote on it." Ok, now that's funny!  I don't care what your political point of view is.  You know politicians don't read all the stuff they vote on and we get the results of their ignorance.

I also stopped in a store which had a wonderful display of quality crafts made in the area. The shop owner was very nice and we discussed how hard it is for small businesses to survive and get the word out about what they have to offer.

1 comment:

Beth said...

That does sound like a good sign! I wonder how many politicians did read the healthcare bill? I started reading the original version and it wasn't fun reading.