Thursday, April 15, 2010

Anam Cara

Anam Cara is a beautiful sound. It just seems to roll off the tongue. The meaning is even more beautiful. It means "soul friend". It's no wonder so many of the Irish were poets. The language is musical.  I have started a study at church using a book called Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom by John O'Donohue. The first chapter talks about what a soul friend is and as I stopped to really think about it, I found I have been blessed with at least 3 soul friends.

How fortunate I am that they have let me in their lives. We can go for weeks without talking (although it's never really that long) and when we do talk, or even better see each other, it's like we have never been apart. They know my deepest feelings and yet they care for me anyway. There is a trust there that goes deep. I have often referred to each of them as the other half of my brain,  but Anam Cara is a much better way to describe what they mean to me.

I hope everyone has an Anam Cara.

2 comments:

alh said...

what a beautiful thought!

Ewespecial said...

This book is a must read for me! Thanks 'Anam Cara'