Wednesday, November 18, 2009

And around the heel we go


Sock progress
Originally uploaded by january spin
Yeah!!!! I have started on the cuff, finally.

True confessions---there is a gap on each side where I joined them back together and I thought about tinking it and redoing that part. I decided not to however since the thought of it put me in a really, really bad mood (as in, why do I want to knit with these tiny needles anyway).

I'll not make the same mistake when I knit the second sock in 20 years but for this one, I am going to finish it as is. Then I am going to take matching sewing thread and take a couple of little stitches and close those holes. Is this the "correct" thing to do? Definitely not. Do I care? Definitely not.

Knitting is supposed to be an enjoyable task and tinking this sock was not going to come under the heading of enjoyable in any way shape or form so therefore, I will cheat.

Apparently I have low standards when it comes to sock knitting and I don't care. I will have a finished sock and at this point that seems to be the goal. A finished, perfect sock just isn't going to happen this time..

Ok, confession time over. BTW, don't bother trying to make me feel guilty about this character flaw. I don't do sock knitting guilt.

Oh, for those of you who actually read this and look at the picture, the pink ribbon is just one more way for me to remember which side is the top of the sock. Now that the heel is turned I can remove it.

2 comments:

leah said...

Missed you last night! So those holes are a really common thing and sewing them up with yarn (or thread) afterwards is a perfectly good solution. I keep an eye out for this when joining everything back up and will often pick up a stitch in the gap (and decrease it in the next row) Sometimes just twisting a stitch will help too!

Ewespecial said...

Well, I'm definitely impressed! As to the holes, on the next sock pick up one more stitch then is needed for gusset and on the first round, knit two together at that section on each side; that will put you back to correct number of stitches you picked up. Continue to decrease your gusset as usual; should take care of the hole. This advice from Charleen Schurch!