Friday, June 27, 2008

Over the Top



Ever have an idea floating around in your head but you just can't quite get a hold on it? That's been me for the past couple of days. I want to make a hat for the January Spin-in and I knew that I wanted to do something different but I couldn't pin down exactly what .

It finally came to me a bit . I remembered my stash of freeform crochet and knitting that I had in the bag in the hall which I have been stumbling over for a couple of months. (If I had put it out of sight, I never would have remembered it.) Anyway, I pulled them out last night and played around with them but kept going back to the computer to play solitaire. That's what I do when the brain is puzzling over something and I need a break.

I was reaching the point of frustration this morning. This is where I become very grateful for artistic, brilliant friends. I popped over to Melody's house and in a couple of minutes she solved the problem I was having. Talk about a DUH moment. I was trying to put the pieces together to resemble a hat. Melody suggested I pull out a styrofoam head and pin the pieces onto that to see how they work. I had even forgotten that I had styrofoam heads--they were put away in the top of a closet. This is why I love my friends. They are artistic, smart, and can think outside the box and provide great practical advice when I need it.

So Samantha now has pins in her head and will sit for a while like that until I decide that the pieces are arranged the way I want. Life has improved considerably.

Some of the other freeform pieces may go toward a vest in the future.

On the dog training front, Conner only has two more classes and he will graduate from basic obedience class. The little stinker is wonderful on lead and comes like a shot as long as there are treats involved. He really seems to like the classes as he jumps like a Parson Russell Terrier when he realizes we are going in the car.

On the other side of the coin, Allie is going up for Shetlie sainthood. Last night I looked over and Conner had Allie by the tail and was pulling her across the living room floor. It's not the first time he has done it. Somehow he has gotten the idea that her (once) fluffy tail is his personal toy and he can grab it and hang on anytime he wants. Like I said, Allie is up for sainthood.

1 comment:

Teri said...

Indeed - Those "catto-pillows" as my grandaughter used to call them ARE Black-Swallowtails with GORGEOUS Sulphur Blue splashes on their wings! I raised mine from gathered fresh eggs laid on my fennel plants in my patio Herb Yardens {their PARTICULAR FAVORITE btw!} & parsley, their SECOND particular fave & they WILL do away with any available DILL WEED too!

I put the "fat cats" like you've shown into a clear plastic drilled out for AIR an inch round the top rim & entire CAP of a gallon or larger container with lots of nice pencil thick or so - oak twiglets for them attach & spin themselves into chrysalli. Quite a PAINFUL looking process till their shell hardens & looks JUST like the WOOD twiglets they suspend themselves from within a few hours!

Keep their food FRESH every DAY & clean out their copious gorging poo & bare leftover stalks! You'll hand-raise your lovelies in about 3 - 4 weeks or so. I LOVE hand-launching mine after they hatch!
HTH! Teri