Friday, November 23, 2007

Fabric, Family and Friends

Happy Thanksgiving! Well, happy day after Turkey Day Thanksgiving. This week has been one that really pointed out to me how very much I am blessed with a wonderful son, awesome sister in law and her family, and friends that are beyond fantastic. They keep me balanced, add great joy to my life and I adore each of them. They are always there when I need them even before I ask. God is good!
I have actually gone 8 days now without knitting. What? How can this be?
I am working on a project of the heart and loving every minute of it. Several of us are making pillowcases for all of the 100 plus children at the Methodist Children's home. Eventually I hope this will become a statewide project and we can support all the Methodist Children's homes in the state. Right now there are people from 4 churches involved and the pillowcases are turning out to be fabulous! Since a sewing machine isn't my favorite toy, I have been buying fabric, cutting it, and putting together kits for those that actually love to sew. I've been like a kid in a candy store matching colors and patterns and having great fun especially since I don't actually HAVE to do the sewing. I'll probably complete at least one for the experience but I think I'll make sure some of my more talented friends oversee the project.
The challenge has been to find material suitable for boys that is also 100% cotton. There is an abundance of lavendars, pinks, and "flowery " patterns but not much "macho" stuff. The other challenge has been to find fabric on sale. The most I've had to pay was $6.00 a yard but it was really great fabric and I only needed 1 1/4 yards. Did I rationalize that well?
I hope to post some pictures later this week--or maybe early next week????

No comments: